Become a Braille Volunteer!
Only 5% of published information is available in formats like braille. Sighted volunteers can help change that! Learn to transcribe print into braille, the tactile reading medium for those visually impaired people who cannot read print.
How do I learn?
• CNIB offers an 8-month braille transcription course for volunteers who can make the time commitment (at no cost).
• Classes are Tuesday mornings from 10am to 12noon, September – April, at the CNIB, 1929 Bayview Ave, Toronto (just N of Eglinton Ave.), or by Zoom.
• Homework assignments from each week’s class require about 2 hours a day to complete.
Is this right for me? Yes if you are …
• Able to work independently
• In good general health and eyesight
• Passionate about literacy
• Able to make a continued commitment – at least 3 years which includes a weekly shift (10am-3pm) in the Braille Room at CNIB
Please email [email protected] with “Braille Volunteer” in the subject line.