Have you some extra love to offer a student on the phone once a week as a friend/mentor?
Retired teachers have wisdom which would be wonderful to share with a student on the phone (or Zoom) weekly. Get matched with a girl or boy (6 to 21) who needs you.
* Just read to the child and discuss the story. Kids love a good story geared to them.
* Listen lovingly to what the student wants to share (interests, experiences, problems, questions)
* Inquire how they are kind to themselves. And to others. (But don’t ask personal questions too soon.)
* Ask what they’re grateful for. (Gratitude isn’t innate; it takes training. It correlates with higher grades. Happiness too.)
* Discuss these 4 values with older students:
1 – I Value Who I Am (for a happy relationship with myself).
2 – I Value Win-Win Relationships (for good interpersonal relationships).
3 – I Value My Power to Choose (to make strong, wise choices).
4 – I Value My Mind, My Body (for mental and physical health).
These 4 values are outlined on the website: For an eBook on each value, just ask.